Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tis the Season

If you ask a gardener in this zone 5/6 area when the growing season starts, they will probably answer Memorial Day Weekend. This is generally considered to be the time of year that is safe from frost.
If you ask a die-hard gardener, they might answer March. That is the earliest you can plant snow peas around here; that is if your garden isn’t covered in the white stuff. (I probably shouldn’t admit this, but there was a time I would shovel the snow off an area large enough to plant the snow peas. I have since recovered from that urge.)
If you ask a gardening addict when the season starts, they will answer November. This is the time of year that seed catalogs begin to arrive. Oh, the excitement of opening your mailbox and finding the first of the season, much like eating your first homegrown tomato each summer. Some days I get as many as three!
I love looking at seed catalogs. Some are beautifully illustrated. All offer the biggest, best, and most abundant. I especially look forward to the new hybrids of the season. Bizarre and beautiful are the pictures of these vegetables, enticing me to try something new.
Look out stomach…this year I’m planting Burning Bush ™ Hybrid Peppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment