Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Confession #17 ~The Stash

While sorting through my collection of seed packets I realized I need to make another confession. I hoard seeds.
Ever since I found out that seeds only lose some viability each season (something the seed companies don’t want you to know) I have saved the leftover seeds each year.
Throwing out leftover seeds is about as difficult for me as thinning seedlings. After all, that’s a healthy growing plant, who am I to decide which ones live and which do not? I know it’s for the greater good, and I do it; but I really don’t like it.
I try to space the seeds far enough apart to reduce the need to thin, but it doesn’t always work that way. Doing that also leaves me with leftover seeds…really leftover. I found seeds packets tonight from 2002. More than one. (Talk about a confession.)
I know they are probably not viable anymore. I should just toss them out and get it over with…
I can’t do it.
I think instead I’ll mix up all the seeds that are prior to 2007. Come Spring I’ll just take one garden bed and toss them all in. I won’t be able to space them properly, not knowing what they are. I know, I’ll just thin the seedlings as needed.
Wait a minute...

No comments:

Post a Comment