Saturday, December 12, 2009

Indoor Garlic


Everything I've read on the internet tells me garlic can't be grown indoors except for the greens.
Ok, I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I planted a few garlic cloves in a planter and put it in a southeast window. I chose cloves that showed signs of sprouting, some cloves from the grocery store are treated to not sprout.
In a very short time the sprouts were up. I pinched off a little to try it. I really was shocked at how powerful the garlic taste was. Not less, like the green part of scallions, but more than a clove itself (a store bought one that is).
I used it like scallions to top off a twice-baked potato...so delicious and colorful.
My husband has been using them in cooking, he also commented that he was suprised at the strong taste.
Note that this is like pinching back a plant. The garlic that had some greens removed actually grew better than the ones we left alone, and has lived longer.
I think I'll need a new spot for my cactus. I want two planters of garlic so we never run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment