Thursday, December 17, 2009

Confession #8 The Shrine


“Why carrots?” is a question most people will never be asked, especially by medical personnel.
It started when I was a kid. I never really liked my birthday. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the gifts well enough. I just didn’t like being the center of attention. Over the years it got worse, I basically did not look forward to my birthday at all.
It was on my 49th Birthday that my husband turned to me and asked: “So…what are you going to do about next year?”
Good question. (It is a big day, I didn’t want it to be a Big Bad Day.) I decided to have a good answer: “I’m going to make a few changes.” Five in fact. I will do five things for my 50th and on that day I will start to enjoy my birthdays.
One of the five was to do something I always wanted to do but never did. (No sky jumping for me though, scaring myself have to death isn’t high on my Things To Do list, fortunately.)
I had in fact always thought it would be fun to get a tattoo. At first I was too young, then I had no money, then I had no time…you know how it goes. Now I have the time and the money, God knows I’m old enough. Funny thing, though, they still made me wait two weeks to be sure I was certain.
The subject of the tattoo was never a question, just the particulars. I love homegrown everything, but which veggie to pick? Potatoes?…no, too drab. Tomatoes?...I’m sure it’s been done. Carrots…that’s it! Colorful, Crispy Carrots.
Now if you knew me you might never think that I would go get a tattoo. Apparently my family was a bit surprised as well. They expressed that by giving me Carrot Gifts.
Now in my kitchen, there is a lasting reminder of my 50th Birthday (which by the way was fantastic): The Carrot Shrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment